- This event has passed.
Swedish e-Science Academy 2017
11 October, 2017 - 12 October, 2017
Date: 11-12 October, 2017
Place: Lecture room MA 121 in the MIT building at Umeå University
- Registration closed. For inquiries mailto: Erik.Elmroth@cs.umu.se.
- Attendance, including meals and accommodation (for people traveling to Umeå), is free of charge but there will be a no-show charge of 1,000 SEK if registration is not cancelled.
- Participants will stay at the Comfort Hotel Winn in Umeå.
- If you are traveling to Umeå make your travel arrangements through your home department.
PRACTICAL INFORMATION FOR PARTICIPANTS (download as pdf)
CONFERENCE VENUE, HOTEL and DINNER
- All scientific activities will take place in the MIT Building (MIT-huset, next to Universum) at the University Campus.
- Registration is just outside the lecture hall MA121 at the ground floor of the MIT building (opens on October 11, 11.00).
- Presentations are held in room MA121.
- Posters are presented at the MIT Place, which is the open space immediately inside the main entrance of the MIT building (entrance is at the 2nd floor).
- Lunches are served at Restaurant Hjortron in Universum (2nd floor).
- Box lunches on Oct. 11 are delivered at the registration (only pre-booked).
- People that have requested hotel rooms will lodge at the Comfort Hotel Winn at Skolgatan 62, Vasaplan. The hotel has a listing of all participants that have registered for hotel (one or two nights).
- The Conference Dinner will take place at the Elite Hotel Mimer, 200 meters eastward from Comfort Hotel Winn, along Skolgatan. Viewed from Skolgatan, the entrance is on the opposite side of the building.
A chartered bus will be available for transportation:
* From Universum to Comfort Hotel Winn on October 11 at 17.40
* From Comfort Hotel Winn to Universum on October 12 at 8.40
- People bringing posters are asked to mount them on the designated stands in the MIT Place before the presentation session starts at 13.10 on October 11. The number of your poster can be found in the poster listing that you will get at registration.
We also remind poster presenters that they are expected to give a 45 s introduction to their poster in MA121 at 15.10 on October 11.
- Light refreshments will be served in connection with the Poster displays.
TRANSPORATION FROM UMEÅ AIRPORT
- For travelling to the hotel or MIT-huset the fastest is to pre-book a taxi (fixed price; for 3-4 people this is probably also the cheapest transport).
- There is also a bus service. For more information see https://www.swedavia.se/umea/ankomster/
— This page will be continuously updated with practical information and programme —
PROGRAMME (download as pdf)
WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 11
|12:00||Lunch (Hjortron @ Universum)|
Sverker Holmgren, Programme Director of eSSENCE, UU
Erik Elmroth and Bo Kågström, UmU
|Chair: Bo Kågström|
Scientific challenges and opportunities in realtime engineering simulation
Kenneth Bodin, CEO Algoryx Simulation
|14:00||Modelling the brain in computers and robots
Christian Balkenius, LU
|14:20||Quantifying the magnetocaloric effect from first-principles
Diana Iusan, UU
|14:40||Design optimization with large design spaces: opportunities and challenges
Martin Berggren, UmU
|15:00||SeSE – Swedish e-Science Education – Graduate School
Pavlin Mitev, UU
|15:10||Chair: Erik Elmroth
(45 seconds per poster, 1 slide)
|16:00||Poster Session with Drinks and Snacks (MIT Place)|
|17:40||Transport (bus/walk) to the Comfort Hotel Winn & check-in|
|19:00||Dinner and Discussions|
THURSDAY, OCTOBER 12
|08:40||Bus from Comfort Hotel Winn to Universum|
|Chair: Lars Nordströmm|
Multiscale modelling – the spiral staircase from theory to experiment
Peter Broqvist, UU
|09:30||Time-frequency localization of marine biosonar signals
Maria Sandsten, LU
|Chair: Erik Elmroth|
|10:20||Effective task-based parallel programming models for scientific applications
Elisabeth Larsson, UU
|10:40||Deep learning as feature extraction
Rickard Sjögren, UmU
e-Science in Industry, Society, and Education – When, Where, and How?
Sverker Holmgren, eSSENCE Program Director, UU
|12:00||Farewell Lunch (Hjortron @ Universum )|